Sunday, March 02, 2008

Breastfeeding Sucks.

Just as I state in the title.
Breastfeeding sucks.
They should make a bumper sticker that says that, cause it's true. I was too early to brag about how surprised I was that breastfeeding was so easy.
Cause I lied.
It's not.
Well it was.
Until we ran into a little problem. We discovered that for some reason Jarrid doesn't like the left twin.
I'm just gonna name them Lavern and Sherley. Why? because I can.
Well I kinda just shrugged it off, if he wasn't feeding off it then no milk would come in; right?
Wrong.
Last night I noticed that something was horribly wrong with my girls.
Well Lavern mostly. Sherley was just having sympathy pains.
BTSAM pointed out that Lavern was significantly bigger then Sherley; And by significantly I mean Sherley was just a cantaloupe, while Lavern is the size of a watermelon. After poking around for a little bit I noticed that Lavern was a bit, well, lumpy. And tender too. Sherley was perfectly fine. A little on the full side, but it wasn't feeding time yet.
I must point out that by 'tender' I mean just looking at her hurt.
I told BTSAM to feel it, cause he's the field medic maybe he knows what is going on. He usually does.
a little side comment: I ate Wendy's for lunch yesterday. Remember that cause it plays into this later.
Now when I poked around Lavern for a little bit I mentioned that I noticed that she was lumpy. In which case she was, there were extremely hard spots the were even more tender to touch. So I reached for my handy dandy Pregnancy Bible, and quickly flipped to the Breastfeeding section. BTSAM said that we need to find a way to drain Lavern cause she was kinda "over full"
I placed my symptoms in the list in the book and found out that it was just really really full. And that all I needed to do was to milk it.
Sounds gross I know.
There was a slight problem with just "milking it" though. It was clogged. Nothing was coming out, that's why Jarrid wouldn't feed off of it. Or so we thought. After sitting on the couch with a heating pad on Lavern for about 15 minutes I started to rub the hard spots, hoping to maybe get them out. Maybe they were just knots, you know?
Good and Bad news comes out of this.
The heating pad got Lavern flowing. So I grabbed a bottle and filled it up.
No sense in wasting perfectly good food.
And by Filled I mean there was a good ounce and a half in the bottle by the time I had stopped. But I felt relieved. Until I touched Lavern again. The lumps were harder. This qualifies as a reason to call the doctor on Monday.
But even more good news, BTSAM and I got Jarrid to feed off the left one. Boy, did it feel good.

On other news we had a better night last night then we did on Friday night, a few tears were shed, but BTSAM told me to take my pain medication and go to bed, He would take care of Jarrid. so I did, this resulted in a few tears being shed for some unknown reason, probably because I was over tired. So I got a good 4 hours of sleep. I woke up at 4 wide awake, checked on Jarrid and decided that it was time for him to eat. So I grabbed a bottle and he ate 1 and a half ounces.
He is currently sleeping, which is something I should be doing.
But I figured I would get a few bottles ready so that when he wakes up later this morning all I have to do is warm them up and give it to him. Maybe it will involve less fussing. I will make another post later this morning with more pictures.

No comments: